This is a sample of material studied in class. This is for intermediate to advanced students.
Watch the video for the Matrix 4 (マトリックス第4弾『レザレクションズ』) try to identify the words that are missing from the dialogue below (answers are at the bottom of the page).
Students watch the video twice and then discuss the answers.
you seem particularly ____________ right now.
Can you tell me what happened?
– I’ve had dreams that weren’t just dreams.
Am I ________?
– We don’t use that word in here.
– Have we met?
♪ One ______ makes you larger and one pill makes you small ♪
♪ And the ones that mother gives you ♪
♪ Don’t do anything at all ♪
♪ Go ask Alice ♪
♪ When she’s ten feet tall ♪
– Time to _______.
♪ And if you go chasing rabbits ♪
– If you want the truth, Neo…
you’re going to have to ______ me.
♪ And you know you’ve gone too far ♪
The only thing that matters to you is still here.
I know it’s why you’re still fighting…
and why you will never give up.
– You don’t know me.
♪ When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead ♪
♪ And the White Knight is talking backwards ♪
♪ And the Red Queen’s off with her head ♪
♪ Remember what the dormouse said ♪
♪ Feed your head ♪
♪ Feed your head ♪
– After all these _______… to be going back to where it all started.
Back to the Matrix.
Questions and Discussion points
- How difficult was this video to listen to? How difficult was it to understand?
- Are there any new words and phrases in this video?
- Have you seen the original Matrix movie? Have you watched the original trilogy? Share your thoughts on those movies if you have seen them.
- When the original movie was released in 1999 it was described as a ‘game changer’ what do you think this means? Discuss it with the class.
- Can you think of any other movies that can be considered game changers?
- The original movie coined the phrase ‘a glitch in the matrix’, discuss what this means with the teacher and your classmates.
The music featured in this movie trailer is White Rabbit (1967) by the band Jefferson Airplane and is based upon the story Alice in Wonderland.
Read the Wikipedia entry for this song and then try to explain what the song is about.
Answers to listening section
Game changer = 大逆転